Last week, I said goodbye to the third decade of my life, and said hello to the fourth. There was quite a build up and I had myself under a bit of stress trying to finish my 30 before 30 bucket list and planning my prom themed birthday party. Yeah, you read that right. To bid adieu to my twenty something life, I threw one last giant costume fête for 75 of my closest friends.
As I woke up the next morning, I was overcome with so many feelings, the main one being nausea, and spent the day reflecting on who I am. Now, in this moment. And then I reflected on who I used to be.
My life has been defined my so many feelings, places, and people. But looking back there are a few things I was utterly unprepared for. Not that I would change who I was or what I've done, but wouldn't it have been great to be a little bit wiser, a whole lot sooner?
20 Lessons for My 20 Year Old Self
- You don't like marijuana. It makes you anxious.
- So does caffeine.
- If you're talking shit about your friends behind their back, you shouldn't be friends with them.
- There is nothing wrong with a nice pair of classy ballet flats.
- Get your hair cut before it gets gross.
- Pack light, lugging three suitcases anywhere is pointless.
- Use protection: helmets, condoms, hand sanitizer.
- Get your flu shot.
- Write more.
- Tell the truth and don't hold back. If you don't say what you feel when you feel it, you may never get the chance.
- Being thin is not everything.
- Working out is HUGE for regulating your mood.
- Your friends are there to help you; let them.
- Take care of your things, and treat your possessions with respect.
- Treat yourself with respect.
- Pay your bills on time.
- You need sunscreen in Mexico.
- Being sad is not the end of the world, but life doesn't have to be so hard all the time.
- You're not the only one that thinks that way.
- Don't be envious, be inspired.
I feel like I could go on and on, forever and ever. Isn't it crazy how time flies? What would you tell your 20 year old self? Any of mine you disagree with? Let me know in the comments.